New Zealand, Fiji, Great Britain and France into women’s rugby sevens Olympic semi-finals
Text and Image: World Rugby
- New Zealand and France maintain perfect records in pursuit of Olympic gold
- Rio 2016 Olympic Champions Australia knocked out by impressive Fiji while Great Britain beat the USA to claim semi-final spot
- Olympic debutants China and the Russian Olympic Committee team showed their potential by reaching the quarter-finals but were beaten by France and New Zealand respectively
- New Zealand will face Fiji in first semi-final at 11:00 local time (GMT+9) on Saturday
- Great Britain and France take to the pitch for the second semi-final at 11:30 local time
- The gold medal match will take place at 18:00 local time on ‘Super Saturday’, with the bronze medal match kicking off at 17:30
New Zealand, Fiji, Great Britain and France are through to the Olympic semi-finals and just two victories away from a gold medal following a drama-filled day of high quality rugby sevens action at Tokyo Stadium.
There will be a new Olympic champion at Tokyo 2020 after defending champions Australia were knocked out of medal contention on day two of the women’s Olympic sevens tournament as Fiji secured a stunning 14-12 win in the quarter-finals.